wiring red

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

wiring red

Postby 1redbuggy » 13 Thu Aug, 2009 12:18 am

Trying to get red wired and ready for Boerne. It's not hard just time consuming. Image
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby Don » 13 Thu Aug, 2009 7:14 am

Looking good, hope you make it. I'd like to see that buggy in person.
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby David Head » 13 Thu Aug, 2009 2:12 pm

Cool tail lights.. I always loved the 65 Mustang lights.
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

wiring

Postby 1redbuggy » 13 Thu Aug, 2009 3:07 pm

Thanks. It will look better when I lower it and get the big tires off of it. But they'll do for now. I like the mustang taillights but I don't like wiring them. Everything is done but the taillights. I have blinkers and parking lights working fine on the taillights buttttt when I connect the red wire for the brake lights My blinkers turn into four way flashers! Ha! I have tried everything? I got my wiring harness from Lee at Buggy Wharehouse. It's a buggy harness. ( I used the same harness in my blue buggy with all stock gauges and had no problem). My red wire comes off the master cylinder and goes back to the drivers side tailight then it splices off that same wire and goes over to the passenger side taillight. Passenger blinker works fine with the red wire connected but when I turn on the drivers side blinker the signal feeds through the red wire and ALL blinkers flash. Has anyone ever wired any mustang taillights? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The taillights only have one terminal that plugs into the back of the light But two wires (one brake and one park/turn signal). This is why it's feeding across, but how do I remedy it?
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 13 Thu Aug, 2009 8:19 pm

jspbtown
Buggyholic

Thanks!

Postby 1redbuggy » 14 Fri Aug, 2009 7:28 am

Thanks for the links jspbtown! Now I can finish my wiring. All thats left is bolting in some seats, putting the motor in and getting it registered and inspected.
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby jspbtown » 14 Fri Aug, 2009 8:09 am

I just noticed one thing about your post...

The brake and turn signals are the same circuit while the parking are another. Not like you have it in your post.

Brakes and turn signals are the larger, brighter, elements in the bulb. The smaller, dimmer, elements are your parking lights.

Make sure the case is grounded as well.
jspbtown
Buggyholic

wiring

Postby 1redbuggy » 14 Fri Aug, 2009 6:21 pm

Wiring is done! WhooHoo!! Ha! The converter worked like a champ! Thanks! I bought universal switches for headlights and wipers but I didn't like them. So, I bought a 65 mustang light switch ( the bezel says LIGHTS). I used a 67 cougar wiper switch with 65 mustang bezel and knob to match the light switch ( the bezel says WIPERS). They are much nicer looking than the cheap universal switches! Now back to mechanical. I need to hook up my emergency brakes. Install one hard brake line (right front). Fill brake resevoir and bleed brakes. Install motor and seats then get it registered and inspected.
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby Jack Duncan » 14 Fri Aug, 2009 6:48 pm

Wonderful! Sounds like you are going to see us here in Boerne. Can't wait! :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 14 Fri Aug, 2009 7:01 pm

That was fast. Wanna come wire mine?
CoryN
Buggyholic

red

Postby Jim B » 14 Fri Aug, 2009 7:54 pm

Mine too!!!

What is your opinion of the harness that you used? How many extras were needed to go with that harness?

Looking forward to checking your buggy out at the Roundup.

Jim B
Jim B
Jim B
Buggy Nut

wiring

Postby 1redbuggy » 15 Sat Aug, 2009 9:52 am

Yes, we'll be in Boerne. Our reservations are made! We'll be staying at the La Quinta, one mile from downtown. CoryN and JimB I'd love to help ya'll but ya'll are quite a ways from Abilene. It's finding the time. Ha! If It's all stock vw gauges and a buggy harness I can wire a dune buggy in two days. It takes as long to clean up the wires (run wire looms) as it does to actually wire it. I rewired my blue buggy in two days. In my red buggy I used a digital speedometer, oil pressure switch and warning light, turn signal indicator light, voltmeter gauge, and fuel gauge. Plus the mustang taillights and switches. All this added a little higher degree of difficulty, which in turn took a little longer. My buddy who owns a vw shop here in Abilene and lets me use his shop noticed that they cut the main fuel line in red when they cut ( shortened) the pan, so now I have to fix that problem.
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

wiring

Postby 1redbuggy » 15 Sat Aug, 2009 11:33 am

Jim B, I didn't have to add anything to the buggy wiring harness. Every wire is there. The only thing I had to add was all my ground wires. Simple.
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

Postby Jack Duncan » 15 Sat Aug, 2009 8:48 pm

Go to Members Only and jot down some of the phone numbers and call somebody when you get to town to see where everyone is congregated. To get to Main St. in Boerne from the La Quinta, just head east on Johns Rd. form IH 10. About 2 miles down that road you'll come to a "T" . That is Main St. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby DannyT » 15 Sat Aug, 2009 8:55 pm

How much was the harness? I am looking at different ones and have stumbled upon one in a street rod magazine the has all the wires,a nice fuse box for under $150.
DannyT
Buggy Nut

wiring

Postby 1redbuggy » 16 Sun Aug, 2009 12:00 am

The buggy harness cost $50.00.
1redbuggy
Buggy Builder

Return to Member's Projects