Let the Burro Restoration Begin...

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Let the Burro Restoration Begin...

Postby cobra1169 » 30 Thu Jul, 2009 10:00 pm

This week marks the official beginning of my Buggy Project. I purchased a 1960s “Original” Burro on eBay --- sight unseen; a calculated gamble. We’ll see if it plays out as a “smart” move in the long run.

Here is what was listed as the car description:

Original Burro built by Tiny Thompson, Santa Ana, 1960s:
“Vehicle Description: Original Burro built by Tiny Thompson in Santa Ana in the 60's. Street legal with current registration and license. Stored since 2006. Rebuilt 1600 dual port motor. New tires, chrome wheels, bus transaxle, seats and canvas top. Also turning brakes, CB, fire extinguisher, toolbox and cooler.”

So the car arrived last week, and after assessing the purchase, I realized several things:

• I love the Burro period! It has a great design, scale, stance, and appearance
• The car does run and the engine sounds solid
• I’m not a big fan of the paint job or color --- I know it is just cosmetics, but it is a personal preference consideration
• However, I have no history or information on the Burro
• The Burro, in its current state, will not pass Texas inspection with a few non-functioning parts
• Before I put myself, family, and friends in the car for a drive of any distance or location, I will have the Buggy thoroughly inspected, evaluated, & assessed.

For this task, I am deferred to a true expert Neil Decker from Hawkeye Buggies http://www.hawkeyebuggies.com, who my boys now call the “Buggy Doctor.” Between Neil’s 30+ years of buggy experience, high recommendation from this Forum, and the rapport developed during the time that Neil spent with me on the phone and during emails prior to my purchase, I have the confidence that he is the man for the job!
Neil will be completing a complete component breakdown assessment of the Burro and we’ll see where we go from there! I am planning on a restoration that will keep the key appearance of the Burro intact, but I will use modern technology and conveniences to improve the safety, ride, and comfort of the Burro.

Below is a picture of the desired end state (with the exception of frame color to make my Burro distinctly different). This Burro is owned by Scott Drolet in Southern California who has been a huge help in providing me with Burro history, information, and a wealth of knowledge.

That’s it for now, I’m not sure who is more anxious and excited about getting this Lil’ Burro back and on the road --- me or the kids!

Thanks --- Jim

[/url]http://www.hawkeyebuggies.com/[url][/url]
Last edited by cobra1169 on 24 Mon Aug, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cobra1169
Buggy Builder

Postby GregR » 30 Thu Jul, 2009 10:07 pm

very cool! It looks like it's in pretty good shape as it sits.
I'm looking forward to seeing your updates.
GregR
GregR
Site Admin

Postby Jack Duncan » 30 Thu Jul, 2009 11:39 pm

Put it on that trailer and bring it to the Buggy Roundup. You don't have to be street legal to drive it in the parade. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 31 Fri Jul, 2009 7:41 am

I agree with Jack. Bring it on.

The Burro would sure attract a lot of attention, and we who have never seen one before would love to see it in the flesh.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 31 Fri Jul, 2009 8:28 am

Looks like a deal give me a call I would like to see it in person and maybe help out a little
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby cobra1169 » 31 Fri Jul, 2009 1:02 pm

Bryan,

Thanks for your interested and your offer to assist! I'll defiantly take you up on that. The Burro is up with Neil in Hawkins, TX. I'll keep everyone up to date on the progress and developments.

Getting the Burro to the roundup may be a stretch considering the work that needs to done, time, and most importantly $$$! But I will be trying!!!

Thanks Everyone! --- Jim :D
cobra1169
Buggy Builder

Postby cobra1169 » 24 Mon Aug, 2009 10:04 pm

Neil has been hard at work completing a skin-off inspection of my Burro to ensure that it structurally sound and safe. I also learned this week that this Burro in one of the very early 60's Burros based on the design of the rear engine cage top bar tapering from 2" to 1".

Also making a few minor mods to the Burro as well.

Here are some pictures in Neil's shop in Hawkins, Texas (Real pretty country up there)!

Thanks for looking! --- Jim
cobra1169
Buggy Builder

Postby Bill K » 24 Mon Aug, 2009 11:26 pm

Nice project. We'll all be anxious to see it in the flesh.

Keep the progress photos coming.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby tx_1987_gta » 24 Mon Aug, 2009 11:36 pm

This should be really cool watching the build processes of this thing... I have never seen a Burro in person. 8-)
Thanks Joe

1965 VW Beetle Convert " Betty "
1967 VW Bathtub Buggy " Scrappy "
19-- VW Bathtub Buggy ( Project )
1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 Trans Am GTA " Magic "
1989 20th Ann Turbo Trans Am " Charlotte "
tx_1987_gta
Buggy Nut

Burro

Postby Buggy1 » 25 Tue Aug, 2009 5:14 pm

:D Thats a Dune Buggy..........I always loved the Burro. They were raced alot in California and Baja. One which Tiny and I believe Coats drove to a sixth overall finish in a version they called the bullit. I know Neil is the man to do the job and you can't go wrong there.

My son and I hope to own a Burro soon. Keep posting pics, this is a great story growing

Neal :)
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 16 Tue Feb, 2010 3:51 pm

We have not seen any updates here lately. Where are you at in the refurb?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby CoryN » 16 Tue Feb, 2010 4:54 pm

I've ridden in it. Kinda funky with those bus reduction boxes the way it raises up, not a very fast machine either.

Its changed hands now, last I saw it was headed to California.
CoryN
Buggyholic

Return to Member's Projects