BBB-- BrianB's Buggy Build

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

BBB-- BrianB's Buggy Build

Postby BrianB » 02 Tue Jun, 2009 5:08 am

Here is the new project that I hope to have up and running before the laborday weekend. I dont know what/who the manufacturer is yet. This is the first of two buggy bodies I got along with a Berrien Buggies chassis.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 02 Tue Jun, 2009 5:43 am

Here is a little blurb from DBA. It looks like its a Thunder Bug. It has the textured interior and the molded in tubes for the wiring.
"Thunder Bug
The decal on this previously unknown buggy has sparked some information to be found on it. This is what recently surfaced on the SAMBA site about the Thunder Bug. Thunder Bug was Custom Built mold made by Clay Diekmann and Tony Vierra of Manx House (a dune buggy shop) in 1968 in Sunnyvale California. The shop later became known as Bugformance. There were only 50-70 of these bodies produced. They were handlaid fiberglass construction with chopper gun re-inforcements. They were designed to be the same dimensions as it's cousin the Manx. Tailbox was raised for more clearance. Hood appears designed for more tank clearance. Dash and hood thicker than most manx kits. Interior surfaces were textured . Later versions were molded with tube under fender for wiring harness. Front angles made for Sqaureback Turn signals and rear panels for oval tailights."
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Don » 02 Tue Jun, 2009 7:18 am

Wow, looks like you have a lot if work ahead of you. A complete buggy build by Labor Day, a Bradley GT...
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 02 Tue Jun, 2009 8:05 am

Don wrote:Wow, looks like you have a lot if work ahead of you. A complete buggy build by Labor Day, a Bradley GT...
The Bradley GT is more than likely going away :(
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 08 Mon Jun, 2009 5:37 am

Did a little work this weekend. I removed the floor to paint and prep the frame. Sanded on the body. Removed the hood to get at the gas tank. Found the gastank was toast.
This is the second body that came in the deal. My son has claimed it and started sanding the body.
Here is everything put away for the night.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 15 Mon Jun, 2009 4:53 am

Went through the parts bin this weekend and found a few bits that may work well on the Buggy. I'll have an adjustable front beam this evening as well.
Seats from the Bradley GT look good
Wheels that will go it from an Astro van
Headlights are motorcycle units with high-low beams and indicator on top.They were for a VW Woody that never got past the planning stage.
I'll be using type 3 VW gauges.
The plates that will go on if I end up with a 63 title.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Fred » 15 Mon Jun, 2009 7:31 pm

Man, having an "old parts" stash is worth its weight in gold!! You dont realize how much misc. expense adds up. Thats pretty cool having a father-son project, Enjoy! PS does that say 49 Dodge? I just sold my 49 Plymoth buisness coupe. I still have a line on cheap parts for it if you need anything, I pretty much gave a whole parts car away with it to a friend and he still has all of it. Fred
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 15 Mon Jun, 2009 8:18 pm

Fred wrote:Man, having an "old parts" stash is worth its weight in gold!! You dont realize how much misc. expense adds up. Thats pretty cool having a father-son project, Enjoy! PS does that say 49 Dodge? I just sold my 49 Plymoth buisness coupe. I still have a line on cheap parts for it if you need anything, I pretty much gave a whole parts car away with it to a friend and he still has all of it. Fred
Yep. It's been in the wifes family since new 8-) . It sat at the ranch in a barn since 1971 until 2008 when I scored it. Completely original and rust free 8-) 8-) . A spare drive train would be nice :lol:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 17 Wed Jun, 2009 5:28 am

In case some of you dont know how the Berrien Chassis comes to you here is a picture of the Fiberglass floorpan that sits on top of the tube chassis.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 17 Wed Jun, 2009 11:45 am

Brian, you're moving right along. You'll be ready for the Round-Up for sure at this rate. :)
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 17 Wed Jun, 2009 12:06 pm

Jack Duncan wrote:Brian, you're moving right along. You'll be ready for the Round-Up for sure at this rate. :)

That's the plan. Either driving or towing. Unless we have another Hurricane to deal with.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 19 Fri Jun, 2009 8:45 am

Anyone have an idea why there are two recesses to put the battery into? Is one a cooler for a six pac :D
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 19 Fri Jun, 2009 9:04 am

Beer would be good but I would put tools and spare parts in there.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 19 Fri Jun, 2009 9:29 am

Bryan Porter wrote:Beer would be good but I would put tools and spare parts in there.
whoeee I have a trunk :lol:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 21 Sun Jun, 2009 2:09 pm

Hey Brian,
Where in Katy are you located? I'm in Rosenberg and it'll be great to have another buggy in the area.
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 22 Mon Jun, 2009 5:25 am

Bill K wrote:Hey Brian,
Where in Katy are you located? I'm in Rosenberg and it'll be great to have another buggy in the area.

I-10 and Mason. So I now know who to call if I need help as you are just down the street :D
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bill K » 22 Mon Jun, 2009 8:23 am

Just let me know, and if I can I'll be glad to help. Do you have a goal for the completion of the buggy?[/quote]
Dream It - Plan It - Build It
Bill K
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 22 Mon Jun, 2009 8:58 am

Bill K wrote:Just let me know, and if I can I'll be glad to help. Do you have a goal for the completion of the buggy?
[/quote]
I am hoping its driving by LaborDay :shock:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 7:23 am

I did some work to the Buggy this weekend(Friday) and my son did some fiberglassen for me while I was at the ranch.
BEFORE
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 7:27 am

Here is a belly pan that I made out of an old aluminum sign when they closed our plant down to outsource :evil: I wish I had more time this weekend I think I could have had the trans in as well.
Here I fit up the MC and run some of the brake lines.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby fullup12 » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm glad you are a little ahead of me on your frame. Now I don't have to think, I can just copy (Kidding). What are you guys using in the fiberglass. It looks like there is something sandwiched in it.

Don
fullup12
Buggy Builder

Postby Mook » 06 Mon Jul, 2009 7:53 pm

wow, great job on the fiberglass, I will need to pick your/your sons brain on that, I have much to learn.
How did you cut that sign? do you have a sheet metal sheer or did you use a nibbler?
Mook
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 11 Sat Jul, 2009 6:53 am

Got my steering column in yesterday from Buggy man John with the help of Neil at Hawkeye Buggies 8-) 8-) 8-) . When I get the Windshield in I'll measure up for a roll cage and get Neil on that right away. Now if I could find some serviceable King and Link pin spindles I could finish up the front end. I might just bite the bullit and and order up the dropped disc kit. Labor day sure is coming up quickly :shock:
I'll post pictures on Monday morning.

Brian
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 11 Sat Jul, 2009 6:54 am

Mook wrote:wow, great job on the fiberglass, I will need to pick your/your sons brain on that, I have much to learn.
How did you cut that sign? do you have a sheet metal sheer or did you use a nibbler?
Just used a jigsaw. You'll see the results when you come over.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 27 Mon Jul, 2009 5:25 am

Got my reworked gas tank in from TexasBuggies. Looks real good. I have started fixing the body on this old glass. Lots of fiberglass resin to fix all the gelcoat cracks. I'll skim it with a light coat of filler then primer. Pics to follow.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 10 Mon Aug, 2009 5:38 am

Well I've been trying to put in the hours to get this done by Labor day but I dont think I can work the magic well enough. Sunday I finished tearing down the two motors that I was going to rebuild for the Buggy. One is a stock 1600 and the other is an 1835? It was a motor made by GEX( :shock: ) in the mid 90's,pshaw. The stock one looks like it will be the easiest and less expensive to rebuild. New bearings,seals,rings, valve springs. The Hipo with the 92mm pistons needs a crank and rods as well as the other rebuild essentials. If I can get those parts quickly I'll have my son build it up. As I said in the last post I got the new tank from Texas Buggies and it looks great. The body has been a lot of work trying to save the fiberglass. Lots of resin on top of the gelcoat has smoothed it pretty good. The next step will be a skim coat of body filler. Also once the flip gas cap gets in I can modify the hood for that. I am still waiting on the Windshield which has been an ordeal in itself. It should be in this week(I hope :? )Here are some pics of the engines.
This is a piston from the stock motor.Before and after cleaning
here is the reason the stock motor failed
here is the Rod on the big motor,,OUCH
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 10 Mon Aug, 2009 9:12 am

Put the crank and rods from the little motor in the big motor and run with it.
BTW we missed you this weekend.
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 10 Mon Aug, 2009 9:57 am

Bryan Porter wrote:Put the crank and rods from the little motor in the big motor and run with it..

That is an option I did not think of DOH. I guess I should have the case checked out as far as bearing sizes though. I dont know how much was done to the bigger motor.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 10 Mon Aug, 2009 9:59 am

Bryan Porter wrote:BTW we missed you this weekend.
Ya I wanted to head up that way but there were other plans in place that precluded me from spending the better part of day in Conroe. :cry: There is always the Round up next then the night show in September.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Mook » 12 Wed Aug, 2009 7:50 am

lets get this thing rollin by labor day, let me know how I can help.
you can still do it! :D
Mook
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 12 Wed Aug, 2009 8:55 am

It wont be this weekend as I am making an unplanned visit to Toronto to see dear old Mom :(
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 25 Tue Aug, 2009 5:34 am

Well I got back from Toronto to find that my son had been working on the Buggy body for me 8-) . He has filled in the tail light holes and put a skim coat of filler. By the time its ready for primer there wont be much left. I filled in the gas filler hole as it did not line up with the new gas tank. Just waiting on the flip top filler from Texas Buggy's. My son should have the motor built by Monday. Good practice for him as he is taking Diesel Engine tech at TSTC. Have some issues with the new windshield so I wont be able to fit that for while.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby tx_1987_gta » 25 Tue Aug, 2009 11:47 am

That is looking killer!!!!! 8-)
Thanks Joe

1965 VW Beetle Convert " Betty "
1967 VW Bathtub Buggy " Scrappy "
19-- VW Bathtub Buggy ( Project )
1981 Turbo Trans Am
1987 Trans Am GTA " Magic "
1989 20th Ann Turbo Trans Am " Charlotte "
tx_1987_gta
Buggy Nut

Brian

Postby Texasbuggys » 09 Wed Sep, 2009 4:47 pm

Flip top coming to ya!! Will update ya on th other as soon as I hear. Good seeing you all at the round up!
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Re: Brian

Postby BrianB » 09 Wed Sep, 2009 5:07 pm

Texasbuggys wrote:Flip top coming to ya!! Will update ya on th other as soon as I hear. Good seeing you all at the round up!
Cool. I need to get all the heavy work done before the surgery next Thursday. Did your wife get a supply of hats for the next Round Up? :lol:
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 18 Fri Sep, 2009 8:22 am

Well I'll be picking up the twin to this buggy this weekend. His and hers I guess. This one has a Corvair motor and trans. Pictures on Monday as long as I am able to go to work by then.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Mook » 19 Sat Sep, 2009 8:14 pm

another project? or just one to replace the Bradley?
cant wait to see it!
Mook
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 21 Mon Sep, 2009 11:41 am

Well, I couldnt pick up the other Buggy this weekend as the surgery was a little more intense this time. No way to spend 6 hours of driving to pick it up. I should be up to speed by the weekend though. I did go to Niftee Fiftees Saturday and had a blast.
I got my flip top gas cap that I will be cutting a new hole in the hood for.
I also found that because my trans is a 67 it wont fit in the pre59 torsion that this Berrien came with. I believe I need a new solid mount and, correct me if I am wrong, I need to change the nose cone on the trans? If anyone has had to do this I would sure like some pointers. I would hate to have to aquire another transaxle.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Bryan Porter » 21 Mon Sep, 2009 12:07 pm

Thay make an adapter call kar parts
but the nose cone is a easy change
Bryan Porter
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 24 Thu Sep, 2009 11:57 am

Well I finally got my windshield. It sure looks good. I hope to have some progress this weekend before another round of surgery next week.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Don » 24 Thu Sep, 2009 3:53 pm

Does the flip-up gas top attach to the tank and then protrude through the hood or does it attach to the hood and there is a gas cap underneath?
1967 Dune Buggy - aka Shrek
Don
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 24 Thu Sep, 2009 4:08 pm

Don wrote:Does the flip-up gas top attach to the tank and then protrude through the hood or does it attach to the hood and there is a gas cap underneath?
It does both. There will be a hose between it and the tank and then the flip top mounts on top of the hood.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Brian- you got mail

Postby Texasbuggys » 25 Fri Sep, 2009 8:10 pm

let me know on the parts for you and we can get them to you when they pass through
Get your new short or long body, custom chassis, show cages, bumpers and accessories at http://www.texasbuggys.com

E-Mail Texasbuggys@suddenlink.net or call 361-218-6272
Texasbuggys
Buggyholic

Re: Brian- you got mail

Postby BrianB » 26 Sat Sep, 2009 5:30 am

Texasbuggys wrote:let me know on the parts for you and we can get them to you when they pass through
I'll take them when they pass through. I can pay you cash then or send payment sooner 8-) Thanks Bobby.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 28 Mon Sep, 2009 4:29 pm

Got the trans to go in. Thanks for the push Bryan P. Just the mount was not in position correctly(slotted holes,who would have thought :oops: ). Anyone know what size tap I need to chase the threads in the frame horns?
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Fred » 28 Mon Sep, 2009 8:30 pm

Hey Brian, I made my own front mount with plate aluminum and 1/8 rubber sandwiched in between, My chassis is a 1954 I also had to cut a slot out of the bottom of the frame Oval for bolts to clear thru the nosecone and bottom of the new plates Watch the thickness of your mount as it will affect shift shaft position If you need pics or measurements let me know, Fred
One step forward, Two steps back!!
Fred
Buggy Nut

Postby BrianB » 19 Mon Oct, 2009 5:48 am

Ok the second Buggy is home 8-). It's in pretty good shape. It has the Transvair kit on it. Corvair Engine and Transmission. The Body may or may not be used for my current build. My son has taken ownership of this so as he builds or starts to work on it I'll start a thread on it.Here are a few pics.
pile of trash in the buggy
Corvair Motor
At home beside its brother
The current build
Interior
Corvair cage
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby David Head » 19 Mon Oct, 2009 9:37 am

Brian. Is that the one from Belton? Looks good. Is it the same body like you thought??
Maroon Manx

(o\_!_/o)
David Head
Buggyholic

Postby BrianB » 19 Mon Oct, 2009 10:04 am

Yes it's from Belton area. It is a pretty close match. There is some subtle changes but essentially the same. The Corvair engine is really big for a Buggy IMO but it will stay. The Transvair kit is pretty involved but looks like it was well designed.
ThunderBug Buggy
BrianB
Buggyholic

Postby Jack Duncan » 19 Mon Oct, 2009 10:05 am

That engine really hangs out there, doesn't it? That much weight behind the axle could make a difference in the way it handles, couldn't it? I think I would check it out with someone who knows about that. Hmmmm! :?
White Bandit
Jack Duncan
Buggyholic

Next

Return to Member's Projects