Ricks ride

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Ricks ride

Postby Rick » 28 Thu Aug, 2008 10:37 am

Hi All:
I guess I should have posted my first question here. Oh well here's another one for you. There are 4 tubes that join right beside the emergency brake handle inside the tube. 2 come out on the floor about 16 inches from the rear on either side of the tube. The other 2 come out back in the trans. mount tube. one on either side. Anybody know what they are for? I have the pan marked and ready to cut but the 2 inside are in the way. If you could read the question in the general section "where to cut" and offer some sugestions they would be greatly appreciated. I will post some pics of my basket case as soon as I figure how to work the camera. Pretty bad when I can build a plane but can't figure out a digital camera.

marked and building courage to do the first cut
Rick
Rick
Buggy Driver

Postby Vee Dub Nut » 28 Thu Aug, 2008 10:46 am

The two big fat tubes right behind the emergency brake are for the e-brake cables.. just on either side of those are the smaller tubes that the heater control cables ran through (this is assuming you don't have a really early chassis with the heater knob just right of the shifter). You'll need the e-brake tubes, but the heater ones can go.

To cut the tunnel, make the first cut across the top with a hacksaw. This will allow you to cut the top of the tunnel open without cutting into the tubes. Make it look like this: (the long cut I just made with an air-powered cut off tool)

From there you can navigate the rest of the cut.. As someone mentioned before, check my build thread and there is a bunch of pictures of when I shortened mine. I HIGHLY recommend the stair step cut.. this was a life saver in getting all the tunnel contours to line back up for welding.
Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2006

1967 Beetle
19?? Buggy (Someday hopefully... unless I sell it too LOL)
2000 GTi
Vee Dub Nut
Buggyholic

Return to Member's Projects