Corvair Into Manx

Show us your project. In progress or finished!

Moderator: Ken

Corvair Into Manx

Postby the 'Maniac » 06 Tue May, 2008 1:42 pm

Last July I bought a complete running "reverse-rotation" Corvair engine that supposedly dyno'd 220hp. If you know anything about Corvairs, you know that is most unlikely & it is probably more in the 150hp range.
I got a really great deal, only $250.00 for what you see here.

The parts alone are worth many times what I paid & I thought about parting it out on Ebay, but decided to check out it's minor problem & use it on our Manx. It was on a sandrail with a VW transaxle & I also got the adapter & clutch/pressure plate.
So I removed the 1600cc VW & installed the Corvair!

After a short bit of running it, I realized a piece of an intake valve seat had dropped out & bounced around the combustion chamber of #5 cylinder. I was going to just replace the piston/cylinder & fix the one chamber, but decided that I wanted to freshen it up, so I could get a 100,000 miles out of it.
I'll have it put back together soon & be back to having FUN FUN FUN!!!

NOTE- it still had a whole bunch more hp/torque on 5 cylinders than my 1600cc on its best day!!! :D

It has a new Holley 390cfm 4bbl carb.
Ported & polished 140hp heads that I had all new valve guides, new intake seats, new int & exh valves, new springs/retainers/keepers, 1 new ex seat & the bad combustion chamber welded up & machined back to spec.
A OTTO 2 piece deep cast aluminum oil pan.
Electronic ignition.
Custom headers with Super Trapp mufflers & diffuser disks.
One-wire alternator & lots of other goodies!
Have FUN FUN FUN... the 'Maniac
the 'Maniac
Buggy Driver

Postby CoryN » 06 Tue May, 2008 2:10 pm

Very cool 8-)
CoryN
Buggyholic

Postby Buggy1 » 06 Tue May, 2008 3:18 pm

I like it! I had a corvair buggy once, she ran like a bat bout of h-ll. That was one fast buggy.

Neal :o
Neal
Texas manx Club #1
RBC Dune Buggy Club
DSB Buggies
Meyer's Manx Dune Buggy Club #1898
Buggy1
Buggy Nut

Postby buggyryan » 22 Sun Jun, 2008 11:05 pm

well i for one beleieve it could have 250 hp. i am in the process of building one that will have that as a bare minimum. i have a corvair nut building it for me and for what i would have put in a 1776 i will blow that away and put some money back in the bank and be way more reliable. only problem i have now is deciding what trans to run to handle all the power. will blow up the vw trans i am sure if i dump it
buggyryan
Buggy Nut

Return to Member's Projects